History
Town of Turtle Fire Department
Home Apparatus News Photo Gallery Personnel Recruitment Services Training Links History Contact
The Beginning The first meeting of the proposed Volunteer Fire Department took place on December 16, 1955.  This meeting was called to order by Ray Veihman, town board member.  Prospective members of the department were introduces and Dick McCaul explained the operation of the Beloit Rescue Squad. Chief Alwes of the Clinton Fire Department read the rules and regulations of that department. A motion was made by Chief Alwes, that any person wanting to become a member of the Turtle Fire Department should make an application in writing and have a doctor’s certificate of good health.  Chief Walter Alwes was engaged by the townshipboard to serve as chief of the Turtle Department for the first year. The original members of the department: Carl Edison Ervin Fonda Donald Bolen Wayne Allen Torrence Hill Gilbert Gjestvang Buel Gunderson Warren Hart Peter Halverson Phil Holmes Dave Collins David Lang Don Lang Ray Lang Charles Lindquist Ed Messerole Melvin McCabe Edward McCabe Dick McCaul Frank Marsden Bob McKillips Leon Noss Dave Roland Robert Spence Bruce Spence Fred Scudder Lester Wallace Richard Peterson John Gustafson Jim Walsh Willis Watson Byron Meech Chief Alwes Leroy Veihman served as town board’s representative in organizing the department. In February 1956, Bruce Spence was appointed pump instructor.  Officers of the department unanimously elected were: Mechanic - Ervin Fonda, Treasurer - Buel Gunderson, and Secretary - Frank Marsden First Fire Truck and First Station For many years Turtle Township relied on the Beloit and Clinton Fire Departments.  Within a matter of weeks they were on thier own.  The Turtle Fire Department headquarters would be the Dougan farm dairy garage on Colley road.  Their brand new truck would be based in the garage and meeting would also be held there. The new fire truck was purchased for $13,000.  Tank capacity was 1,000 gallons.  Performance testing prescibed by and supervised by the Insurance Rating Bureau of the Wisconsin Association of Fire Underwriters.  This testing was conducted at the Turtle Creek dam in Shopiere.  The new red truck’s 500 gallon per minute pump operated at full capacity for three hours under pressure of 150 punds and up.  After testing, the truck was described as one of the finest pieces of rural fire fighting equipment in Southern Wisconsin. Within the first year Richard McCaul was elected and took over as Department head from Walter Alwes, who served as acting chief during the formative months of the department.
History